05 January 2006

Who needs a playoff?

If I may engage in a little Thursday morning quarterbacking . . .

What on earth was USC thinking of going for it on 4th and 2 with the lead? I have never seen a coach so obviously lose the game for his team with a single bad decision.

Young is amazing, but IMHO the MVP has to be given to his offensive line. He was never sacked, had tons of time to throw, and every time Young scrambled, the line had the key bl0ck to spring him into the flat. AND, with literally dozens of running plays that took a ton of time to develop, there was not a single holding call against Texas.

Young will be the #1 draft pick.

Did anybody else notice that all the BCS games this year were spectacular? I can't remember a more exciting championship game ever (though I'm not a huge NCAA fan, so my knowledge base is limited), and the Penn State game was great, the Ohio State game was great, and the WVa game was great. What a great Bowl season. Now all I need for a perfect football winter if for the Bears to meet the Seahawks in Seattle in the NFC championship (if so, rest assured, I will be in the stands).

Yikes.

7 comments:

Cool Hand Luke said...

Where to begin. I may need my own post on this. First, this bowl season sucked. Sure, the games were great, but they weren't on New Years Day, and they still wouldn't have been on New Years Day even if the NFL didn't get to claim that Sundays trumped holidays. I feel a bit old and resistant to change, but I remember when you sat down on New Years Day and got to watch all of the great bowl games throughout the day. You could get together with buddies, snack, have a few beers, and celebrate the joyous and wonderous thing that is college football. So, yes, I watched the games and they were great games, but the whole BCS bastardization sucks.

Yes, horrible coaching decision to go for it at midfield on 4th and 2 at the end of the game.

No, I still think Bush goes #1, but I'm not convinced that Young is right there with him in overall talent, which I wasn't prior to this game. Young was incredible in this game. No doubt. I think Bush will prove to be the more intriguing guy, and the Texans already have a high profile young quaterback (albeit one not performing to expectations). It clearly isn't a given now like people were making it out to be, but I think Bush goes 1. I feel like Lee Corso on this one, "Not so fast!"

Beth said...

Maybe congress should take a look at the BCS fiasco?

shadowfax said...

Luke wrote:
this bowl season sucked. Sure, the games were great, but they weren't on New Years Day, and they still wouldn't have been on New Years Day even if the NFL didn't get to claim that Sundays trumped holidays. I feel a bit old and resistant to change, but I remember when you sat down on New Years Day and got to watch all of the great bowl games throughout the day.

I agree with this, though I am as or more irritated now that there are 30 bowls which makes the tradition of second-tier bowls on New Years eve and top bowls on New Years day a pragmatic impossibility. Also that and the fact that now you have teams with .500 records (and worse?) going to bowls. And don't get me started on the fact that #22 got into the BCS and #5 did not.

So the system sucks -- I completely agree. But the 4 big games were at least very good.

lty

Cool Hand Luke said...

The big four games were excellent. Agreed. It is almost too bad, because the BCS people will point to that as proof that their system "works".

Matt Dick said...

The games have been super, but that's no excuse for being the one big sport in the world that votes for its champion. That's why diving and ice skating and gymnastics, as cool as they are, are never going to be major sports -- it's too arbitrary. Football is not arbitrary except in the NCAA incarnation.

Susan said...

Shadowfax said: And don't get me started on the fact that #22 got into the BCS and #5 did not.

That irritates me to no end. Either make the BCS a way to have the best teams play eachother with matchups of 1,2 - 3,4,- 5,6 etc or forget it.

It is a half-assed system. either let it be all about the money or all about who is best. Mixing the two is not working.

Cool Hand Luke said...

Here, here. You are right on Susan. Either admit it is all about the money and keep a flawed yet entertaining system, or do it right with a playoff. They keep trying to patch the BCS and it just isn't going to work.