15 February 2006

32, 33, 34, 35

Oh vanity, what a burden it can be.

I went to the men's clothing store to get some big-boy clothes, as I am getting more of an administrative role at work, and it turns out that I may have to wear a shirt and tie more often, and a careful review of my closet revealed several articles of clothing which dated back to the Reagan administration.

Really.

So I found an Unctious Saleperson who measured me and pulled tasteful clothes for me to wear from wherever they hide them, and the first thing I noticed was that she had pulled pants in the 35-36 inch waistline size. I told her that it was a mistake and that I usually take a 33-34. She smiled unctiously and offered me a 34 with the 35 and suggested that I try both. Well dammit if the 35 didn't fit a lot better. So I assumed that this particular store just cuts their clothes a bit small. I came home and went through the closet, generating five sacks of recycled clothes for goodwill. And I checked to see what fit before chucking anything.

None of the 33s fit, and the all 34s were uncomfortably snug.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the store. I weighed myself for the first time in I don't know how long and I am up about 8 pounds from my baseline weight, which is not a lot but my weight has been rock-stable for about 8 years so it is a significant deviation. Damn. It is finally happening. I have hit the mid-thirties and my metabolism is finally slowing down. You know what that means. No more eating whatever the hell I want without caring what the fat content is, knowing that I couldn't gain weight no matter what I ate. I'm officially entering middle age (or at least knocking on the door). This sucks.

Well, I am not going down without a fight. I've been less active lately, mostly due to work, and I am committing to getting back to my fighting weight within a couple of months. More exercise is the key to my plan, though I will try to eat a little more sensibly. Starting tomorrow. Right now I am getting a bowl of Ice Cream and going to bed.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh......at last.........an opportunity to bond with your mother-in-law!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I weighed myself at four pounds higher than my college weight. I can't seem to drop weight, but I also don't seem to gain much either. All in all, I'd look better if I were lighter, and I could certainly be healthier if I were 20 pounds lighter, but it's not that bad a place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouldn't you be parenting or making money so your wife can do so, rather than poncing around the internet pretending that your wasteline is interesting?

    ReplyDelete