26 April 2006

America's Broken Health Care System (redux)

More proof of the obvious:

The Commonwealth Fund Has released a report (hat tip: The Washington Monthly) which looks at the "Changing Face of the Uninsured." Striking facts: over 40% of moderate-income adults are un- or under-insured, and over half of low-income adults were so afflicted. The noteworthy thing is that the proportion of moderate and even middle-income adults without insurance has increased by more than half in just four years. As a business manager who sees what the total premium cost has done over the past few years, I am not surprised. Even employing doctors, who are high-income by any definition, it's been a struggle to meet the rising costs of the health care. No surprise that businesses on low margin or employees of more modest means are obligated to do without.

For those who, like me, ejnoy pretty pictures:



Also note that the total un-insured and under-insured fractions are much higher than estimated elsewhere: 18% and 28%, or 51 million uninsured and 81 million Americans underinsured. The best alternative figures I have seen put it more like 46 million and 61 million. I have no idea which might be more accurate, but either way you look at it, it's a butt-ton of people who can't get good health care. So instead, they come to see me:



More than twice as often for their chronic problems, and at a higher cost.

Bush and his Rubber-Stamp congress fiddle while Rome burns.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's appalling that these figures aren't causing national outrage. Lack of insurance has been an issue since at least the 1980s. Where is the political will to do something about it?

    I don't dare retire until I'm at least 67. It's my worst nightmare that I might become disabled and unemployed. I had lymphoma as a younger adult and I seriously doubt anyone would even issue me an individual health insurance policy, let alone one that's affordable. And I don't dare just take the chance of being uninsured until Medicare kicks in - what if I have a late recurrence or some other awful treatment-related aftereffect?

    There's a societal cost here, but I guess we'd rather hand out tax cuts to the wealthy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I started off leaving a comment that got way too long, so I just made it into another post on my blog!

    ReplyDelete