24 August 2006

Now, that makes me feel old!

We have several new partners starting with us this summer, and have hired a few more for the winter. Most are striaght out of residency, but some of them are older than I am. But they all have a disturbing tendency to address me as "Doctor Shadowfax." Even in informal settings (e.g., Starbucks).

I suppose I can see why -- being the group's president, I have been involved in interviewing, hiring, and orienting the new physicians. So there's a status/respect/fear thing, I guess. I certainly haven't encouraged it, and as we get to know each other better the familiarity will come. But it stll makes me feel old.

2 comments:

  1. wait.. someone respects you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, showing that kind of respect is a real crime... but i think you're right about why. same reason i address my PI by his title and last name.

    ReplyDelete