15 December 2006

Tagged!

Scalpel-man tagged me with this meme. I don't usually go for this sort of thing, being fiercely opposed to chain letters and just vaguely curmudgeonly in general. But what the heck, I suppose it'll help prove to The Wife that I am not completely Scrooge-like. It's fun.

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
Oh, Hot Chocolate by a mile. Nog is yucky horrible stuff, cocoa is the staff of life. Even better if it's a Mocha (I am in Seattle, after all).

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? It depends on whether Santa forgot to buy enough wrapping paper and runs out at 11PM Christmas eve. Generally, presents get wrapped. However, Santa doesn't learn well from past mistakes and so they are frequently unwrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Tree gets multicolored lights. The house used to get white lights until Number One Son insisted they be blue (no idea why), so we have white lights in the bushes and blue lights along the eaves of the house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.

5. When do you put your decorations up? The outdoor lights generally go up the first nice (read: dry) day after thanksgiving. The tree and interior decorations follow shortly after since The Wife gets irritated by the crates lying around.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I am not sure it really counts, but I'll say Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. I scored a whole case of it this year -- I got to the store just as the distributor was unloading the truck.

7. Favorite Holiday memory? HUGE family parties on Christmas at the houses of various aunts and uncles, with me and my gazillion cousins running around like crazy and making much noise and getting into lots of trouble.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I actually can't recall ever believing in Santa. So I must have been pretty young.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Like all right-thinking Americans, no. Christmas Day is the proper and correct time to open gifts. The Wife has expressed another opinion on occasion, but I think she had been huffing paint or something.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I drink beer (see No. 6) and wrangle the kids while The Wife obsesses over the selection, set-up, and decoration of the tree. It is a laborious and painstaking process. She will carefully examine every single tree on the lot. The trunk must be exactly plumb once it is in the stand (she uses a laser level for this measurement). This year there are 1500 lights on the tree, each exactly evenly spaced from its neighbor. The outcome, however, is always exceptionally beautiful.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Snow on a flat surface: amusing but a sad waste. Good for the occasional snowman, angel, or fight. Snow on an inclined surface: Nirvana.

12. Can you ice skate?
Haven't in years, but yes. However, a new ice rink and hockey center opened up not far from us recently, and has been a wonderful source of business, from concussions to epidural hematomas. So I'm in favor of skating.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Given: engagement ring.
Received: Millennium Falcon and Han Solo/Chewbacca action figures.

14. What’s the most important thing?
42

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
I kind of avoid them. I grew up with Plum Puddings and Trifles and (so sorry, mom) never really liked them. I'm good with Pumpkin Pie and Ice cream.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Roast Goose with the good Irish-style potato stuffing. To die for. (thank you, mom.)

17. What tops your tree?
An angel (I had to go look).

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Let's be honest. I'm a bad bad person, and I acknowledge it, and I have come to terms with it. Receiving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
"A Christmas Song" by Jethro Tull

20. Candy canes, Yuck or Yum?
Eh. Truly indifferent. Non-peppermint ones preferred.

As befits my status as Resident Curmudgeon, I hereby refuse to throw out any more tags. The meme dies here.

3 comments:

Dana said...

i agree - snow on flat surfaces is generally a waste. i cross country ski as well as downhill, but despite having spent the last four years in wisconsin, i refuse to give up my belief that cross country skiing should be done in mountains. speaking of which, you think the weather will be decent in the mountains this weekend?

glad things were quiet last night at the hospital!

Dana said...

PS. any chance we could get another tale from the ED sometime soon? yes, pre-med dork here... besides, tales from the infectious diseases service aren't nearly so amusing, by and large. thanks doc!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about your answer to number 14. You said the most important thing is 42. Is that from H2G2? Life the universe and everything is the most important thing ot you?
Or is it 42 days... the gestational period of a ferret?
Enquiring minds want to know.