16 March 2009

Shout out for a quilter

Suture for a Living: Double Irish Chain Baby Quilt

I was stunned when the generous Dr Bates offered to make a quilt for my baby daughter, and all the more stunned when it arrived -- not stunned that it arrived, but at how lovely it was.  See for yourself:


I don't know the first thing about making a quilt, but I can recognize something beautiful and well-made when I see it.   The only conflict we have is that, although it's clearly meant to go in her crib, and be used and loved, we are tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall as a work of art!

And she got the whole Irish thing in there too.  It means nothing to me, but I told my mom, a crafter in her own right, that it was Irish Chain and she nodded knowingly and said that it was a nice pattern.

Thanks so much, and if that whole plastic surgery thing doesn't work out, I've an idea of a second career for you...


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your mom approved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a recipient of a world famous rlbates quilt, I can tell you that you will get a lot of use from it. It also makes a great backdrop for taking pictures. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the design. If quilters could come up with some innovative (not necessarily complicated) quilt designs, it might just come back into vogue. If quilts are made correctly they are warmer than blankets you can buy at the store.

    Personally, I love homemade things.

    ReplyDelete