25 March 2010

I loves me a mash-up



Boehner's angry eruption... priceless.  The Party of No embodied.

On another note, it's interesting to see that as the furor dies down, people's heads are cooling off and some semblance of sanity is returning.  A lot of people commented on an ugly, ugly video of Teabaggers viciously berating a man with Parkinson's.  It could serve as a symbol of all that has gone wrong with our political discourse over the last year.  There is some follow-up, though, and it's somehow affirming:
The man who berated and tossed dollar bills at a man with Parkinson's disease during a health care protest last week says he is remorseful and scared.
"I snapped. I absolutely snapped and I can't explain it any other way," said Chris Reichert of Victorian Village, in a Dispatch interview.

In his first comments on an incident that went viral across the Internet and was repeatedly played on cable television news shows, Reichert said he is sorry about his confrontation with Robert A. Letcher, 60, of the North Side. Letcher, a former nuclear engineer who suffers from Parkinson's, was verbally attacked as he sat before anti-health care demonstrators in front of Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy's district office last week.

"He's got every right to do what he did and some may say I did too, but what I did was shameful," Reichert said. "I haven't slept since that day."

"I made a donation (to a local Parkinson's disease group) and that starts the healing process."
I'm glad to see that, for all involved.  I hope that the anger and the hysteria and the subtle or not so subtle threats of violence will be allowed to fade away now that the deal is done.

Of course with the Becks and the Limbaughs and the Palins out there still fanning the flames of rage, that may not be likely.  But I hope that people turn them off and take a deep breath and relax. 



2 comments:

  1. It occurred to me today that now that it's law the networks will HAVE to tell Americans what's really in it - because that's what every wants to know.

    Hopefully we will see reporters asking Palin why she lied about death panels, asking Senator Cornyn why he lied and claimed it was a government takeover, asking the nutjobs who said it would mean government funding of abortion why they lied, etc. etc.

    I'm all for honest debate about healthcare reform but I have heard very little of that - mostly scare tactics and unwarranted attacks on our president.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the truth...


    Yet there are a few rather "trifling" details in this truth.


    Not to mention other "little" details.

    Somehow, I suspect this time it be a little different than the other times... Though, fair disclaimer, who can say for sure.

    We live in interesting times.

    ReplyDelete