10 April 2010

A Brief Dramatic Scene

The Setting: a large open-air ER ward. All beds are empty except for one, upon which a Patient lies in moderate discomfort.
Enter: A Doctor, a Nurse, and a Tech. They attend to the patient. Nurse begins to start an IV, Tech affixes monitor wires, Doctor reviews the chart.

Doctor: Sir, I see from the chart that you are having some abdominal pain. When did this pain first start?

Patient (in a very matter-of-fact tone): I think the pain started sometime after I finished eating that gallon of peanut butter.

(Doctor responds with a blank stare, queries Nurse and Tech with a glance. They maintain carefully neutral facial expressions.)

Doctor (to Patient): I really don't know what to say to that.

(Nurse and Tech double over with poorly-muffled laughter.  An awkward silence follows.)

Finis.

4 comments:

shrtstormtrooper said...

But it was a really, really big sandwich!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!

Pissed Off Patient said...

If my husband ate that much peanut butter, he would be in the ER.

Partly because I would kick him out before he gassed us out.

Also, because he would be sooooooo sick.

Some people can't handle their peanuts.

M

gardenqueen said...

Gah! I want to know what happened next.